Okay, so first I need to get this off my chest… I’m not someone who does all medicines all natural. If we need antibiotics, I’m no opposed. If my kids have a fever, I’ll give them Tylenol.
However, I do like using all natural or herbal remedies when I can! If it comes from the earth and isn’t chemically enhanced, I’m all in.
For this reason I’m diving into natural remedies and trying to learn what I can about them. Firstly, because I think natural remedies can sometimes work even better than prescribed or over the counter meds. Plus, if I can take something natural without all the adverse side effects and possible withdrawals, then GAME ON! Secondly, I think it’s good to be prepared. Now, I’m not much of a conspiracy theorist, however I do often wonder if what we hear in the media is fact or fiction, as I’m sure you do too.
Regardless, I do often think about the future. What if in said future, we don’t have easy access to antibiotics, medicines or over the counter remedies? What will we do? How will we help heal our children and loved ones?
For this reason I’ve been diving into learning about natural alternative medicines. Now, does this mean I’m against Tylenol, antibiotics and other over the counter drugs? No. Not at all. However, I do believe that natural is better when we can go the natural route!
If you, like me, are curious about natural remedies and are hoping to start stocking your medicine cabinet with “things from the earth” I’m here to help! Below, I’ve compiled a list of natural remedies I LOVE. I’ll continue to grow this list as I try new things (I only include things I’ve actually tried). Plus, they are so easy to get and so easy to use! In future posts I hope to learn and help you learn how to make these remedies. And if anyone has any tips or tricks or recommendations in this area, I’d LOVE TO KNOW!
I’ve also included the links to each item for your convenience… just simply click the picture!
Alright, let’s dive in.
- I struggle with anxiety and I’m not at all ashamed to admit it. Anxiety runs in my family. For me, it causes pain in my neck and shoulders and I often find myself holding my breath for long periods of time when in stressful situations. It’s also debilitating at time and often threatens to hold me back from my goals. Now, if you don’t know me and many of you don’t, I’m VERY VERY goal driven! Achievement is my JAM! On the enneagram, if you’re into that kind of thing, I’m a strong 3 (with a wing 2). I find so much joy and fulfillment in chasing the next goal. Sometimes is so intense, I know I’m probably in need of a professional help… Lol! Don’t worry… I’m working on this! However I also think that my drive and tenacity are a God given gift. So when my anxiety creeps in and takes hold of my heart like a hangry python, I know I need help to overcome it. Thankfully, I’ve found a few things that have CHANGED MY LIFE. Plus, BONUS, they are all natural!
- Lemon Balm: Lemon Balm is an herb from the mint family. Lemon balm can be used for stress, anxiety, insomnia, dementia and more. It contains chemicals that seem to have a calming effect. It might even reduce the growth of some bacteria and viruses. I LOVE Lemon Balm. Below is the link to my favorite lemon balm on Amazon.
- Ashwagandha: This is a medicinal herb that has been used for over 3,000 Years! Holy crap! Ashwagandha is a adaptogen which means it helps your body manage stress. It may reduce cortisol (stress hormones) in your body. Studies have actually shown that this herb can reduce cortisol levels in your body by nearly one third! You can also use to for thyroid disfunction’s, to improve sleep, as well as many more things.
- Joy Filled: Joy Filled is an herbal supplement on Amazon. It has a mixture of many different herbs that help reduce stress, anxiety, depression and insomnia. Guys… I LOVE this little pill! No joke, it has greatly reduced my anxiety! I’ll provide the link below.
2. Nano silver: GUYS… this stuff is amazing!!!! It’s like a little miracle in a bottle. It’s natural, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-yeast and anti-parasitic. This stuff can help with mosquito bites, tick bites, sunburns, other burns and skin irritations. Nano silver is safe for children, pets and has a long shelf life. We’ve used it to cure sore throats and mouth cankers. My daughter got a wicked sunburn just a few days ago and this stuff is a life changer! Seriously, you won’t regret having this stuff in your medicine cabinet!
3. Calendula: Calendula is an amazing remedy for inflamed skin, slow healing wounds, skin ulcers and irritations. it’s strong in action and gentle on the skin. We find it’s way more effective than other skin healing creams. Plus, this one is all natural!
4. Diatomaceous earth: I’ve used diatomaceous earth for years! It’s made from fossilized diatoms which is a type of algae that forms in fresh water. It can do anything from removes stains to take care of annoying garden pests that destroy your garden. I sprinkle it on my lawn so that my kids don’t get eaten alive by chiggers, because THOSE THINGS ARE NASTY SUCKERS.
I also brush it into my horses coats to eliminate pests and help control our fly population which is a total score. We also eat diatomaceous earth occasionally to naturally rid our body of parasites. It’s high in silica, which helps hair and nails grow and can help promote healthy joints. One summer my husband and I notice our lawn was becoming all brown and patchy. We lift one patch of grass and, yep… grubs. Sprinkle this stuff around my yard and within weeks… POOF… gone!
5. Essential oils: Now, I’ll admit that, though I like essential oils, I’m not one of those people that believes they are a cure all. For our family, some work and some don’t. So I’ll be very honest about which ones I think are worth buying and which I’m not so sold on. I LOVE Breathe from Doterra. This one get’s us through many nights of coughing. This one might especially be useful right now as we are facing a pandemic that typically attacks the lungs.
I also like orange, just for the smell and cleaning properties, and peppermint. I mix peppermint oil in a bottle of water and spray on sunburns or other burns to ease the pain. Lavender is also great for easing pain and great to use in homemade deodorants. Lavender is supposed to have a calming effect, however I’ll confess that I’ve never noticed a huge impact in this regard. However, this could simply be me as I hear others swear by it.
I’ll continue adding to this list as I try and approve of new rememdies and perhaps we can all learn together. For now, I hope you love these natural remedies as much as I do! And if you have suggestions, I’d love to try what you love.
Also, I’ll state that I’m not affiliated with any of these products. This is simply my honest review or a few natural products that I love.
I hope you have a wonderful week, because you deserve it!